Saturday, June 25, 2011

Six Month Layoff



After being unemployed for six months almost to the day I returned to work last Monday. It is nice to be employed, although I'm not sure how long it will be before I am on the dole again.  In large part due to the nature of the job. I am now working at an inbound call center providing tech support for high speed internet service. 


The downside is that I didn't have to move to India to be outsourced. The upside is that I that I will receive a check and work with a number of over-qualified and under-employed individuals. 



Which leads to another upside:  the interaction with other humans... the motivation and drive to take a shower, get dressed before 1pm, and leave the apartment. There are only so many reruns of America's Next Top Model available on cable. Yes, I do love that show as well as Top Chief, Top Chief Master, Chopped, and Glee. [There are others; however, I will discuss them a later posting.]


One of things that I missed during my time off was the chit-chat, conversations about movies, music, books, and television with my previous co-workers. While not as romantic as the Algonquin Round Table, most of my co-workers, university students, were fairly literate and had a variety of tastes in movies, television, music, graphic novels, and books.


I had worked at Hastings Entertainment an anachronistic retail chain that failed and still fails to understand the effect that Netflix, Redbox, ITunes, as well as other alternative sources of media had on traditional brick-and-motor stores. Ironically, Hastings wasn't mentioned in the 2011 Best of Lawrence, while Border's which had closed it's door received an Honorable Mention. 













No comments:

Post a Comment